Parish of Boat of Garten, Duthil and Kincardine
Although plain and simple, Kincardine is of considerable historic interest. Like Alvie and Insh it was probably founded in or around the 7th Century by Celtic missionaries from Iona. The foundations of the existing building are 12th Century and the Lepers Squint in the walls indicates that the walls themselves were built prior to the Reformation.
Visitors to the Kirk will note the hollowed out granite block by the front door – possibly used as a font or container for Holy Water and it is conceivable that it was put out of the Kirk at the time of the Reformation. Next door to it is a mortsafe – a relic of the times of Grave robbing at the end of the 18th century.
Its history has not always been so calm and peaceful as its location. Towards the end of the 15th Century a raiding party of Cummings were trapped in it by their arch enemies the Shaws and the kirk was set afire and destroyed along with its incumbents.
Looking through the grave yard gives a wonderful insight into what was once a very populous area. Worshippers came from throughout the Kincardine foothills, from Pityoulish itself and even through the Sluggan from Glenmore. Perhaps the most interesting of the gravestones is that near the Kirk door dedicated to the Stewarts, Barons of Kincardine, who held that Barony from 1374 until 1683 (the Barony itself encompassed the whole of Glenmore and the Kincardine Hills).
The wonderful gnarled old tree by the entrance to the grave yard is a dwarf elder – a tree common in Lochaber but not here. On her deathbed the wife of the 5th Baron – a Cameron – wanted to be buried in the soil of her beloved Lochaber. Soil containing the seeds of this dwarf elder was therefore brought from her home land for this purpose and the tree has been here ever since.
If you choose to visit please stop awhile, enjoy the tranquility and sign the Visitors Book.
The parishes are now linked with the parish of Abernethy and our new minister, Rev Donald Walker, took up the post in October 2013. We welcome Donald and his wife, Judith, to Boat of Garten and thank Sheila Wallace DCS for ably maintaining Sunday worship and pastoral cover in the interim.
St. Columba’s, Duthil and Kincardine Church Services
|St Columba’s||1Oam, Every Sunday|
|Duthil||Midday, Every Sunday|
|Kincardine||6pm, Second Sunday, March to November, also Christmas and Easter.|
|Church of Scotland Guild||7.30pm, Second Monday, October to April|